“Clearly the best way to prevent a hangover is either to avoid alcohol or just keep it to a couple of drinks! However, sometimes that doesn’t happen, our best advice is to be prepared and take action now, to ensure your body is equipped with the essential nutrients it needs to process and eliminate alcohol out of your system as quickly as possible. The sooner you take action, the better your body will cope. However, even if you only start to think about it the day before, or even the day after, it’s certainly better than doing nothing at all”
See Nutri Advanced’s Top 10 Hangover Cures for full article
We’ve picked out our favourite Top 5 from the above Nutri Advanced article, see below:
The sooner you get on it, the more your body will thank you for it.
1. Milk Thistle – A herbal extract with a long history of traditional use in supporting liver function, milk thistle contains silymarin and silybin – active compounds which may help to protect the liver from toxins associated with excessive alcohol consumption. Silymarin has been found to increase levels of glutathione – often nicknamed the ‘master antioxidant’ – and may even help to regenerate liver cells too.
2. Magnesium – Many people are low in this essential mineral, and it is quickly depleted by alcohol too. Magnesium has anti-inflammatory activity and so may help to reduce symptoms of a hangover. Taking a high strength magnesium supplement before an evening where you know you will be drinking alcohol may also be helpful.
3. Vitamin C – Alcohol depletes vitamin C – an important antioxidant, which can help to reduce oxidative stress in the liver. Vitamin C may also help to bolster your immune system too.
4. B- Vitamins – Alcohol depletes B vitamins, yet these important nutrients are essential to help clear it from the body. So it’s important to ensure you are getting extra B vitamins to avoid getting trapped in this vicious circle. In addition, vitamin B1 is thought to enhance the effects of NAC – an important nutrient, which helps to break down alcohol in the body. Vitamin B6 may also help to reduce the symptoms of a hangover.
5. Electrolytes – The sodium: potassium balance can become disrupted following alcohol consumption, and you can help to restore this by ensuring a good intake of potassium. Coconut water is a good natural source of potassium – try having a glass before you go to bed. In addition, pH balance can become disrupted following alcohol consumption. A blend of mineral citrates including potassium may be useful to re-balance electrolytes and support optimal pH balance.”
Article credit Nutri Advanced
Looking forward to seeing all our members in the New Year and welcoming all our new members. Click here for information on how to join in any one of our three locations in Letterkenny, Buncrana and Carndonagh. Get in touch and we will support you on your new healthy eating and weigh loss journey in 2018. Feel lighter, healthy and happier in 2018!
Wishing you all the Merriest Christmas from us here at Gutsy World.
Nutritional Therapist – Founder Gutsy World